I tried this chocolate chip banana bread recipe from Mrs Field's "crazy for chocolate" cookbook. it turned out really nice, flavourful and moist. I'd definitely make it again - it disappeared quite quickly! except that if i made it again, I'd put less sugar. somehow these American recipes are ALWAYS too sweet for my liking! anyhow, it had a very nice banana flavour since there were 8 bananas in this recipe [that makes 2 loaves] and the chocolate chip adds a nice touch. I wonder why it's called a bread though... coz it's not really bready.. but it's not a cake either. it's like..in between. it's denser than a bread..and no yeast is involved.. but not really like a cake either in texture...
I'd eat it for breakfast or as a snack. but not really for dessert like one would with a cake...then again..perhaps i might. after all it does satisfy a sweet tooth with its gooey, sticky consistency.
here's the recipe with my alternations, i reduced the sugar by 1/4 cup.
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread by mrs Fields - makes 2 loaves
3 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
170g butter, softened
1 3/4 cups sugar
8 medium sized very ripe bananas, mashed
4 large eggs, beaten
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 180C, grease 2 x 9 by 5 inch loaf pans. line with baking paper.
2. whisk flour and baking powder together in a bowl.
3. in another bowl, cream butter and sugar. add bananas and eggs, beating until well blended. beat in vanilla.
4. mix in the dry ingredients, add chocolate chips, fold in. do not overmix or they'll get tough.
5. pour into prepared pans, bake for 55 minutes or until golden brown or until a cake tester inserted in the centre comes out clean. set the pans to cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes, then turn out of the pans to cool completely.