Wednesday, May 08, 2013

trying out American recipes

One night I decided to go American and made tator tot casserole. It's basically a modified shepherd's pie - instead of mash on top, tator tots are used. [they're like frozen hash browns but shaped into a little cylinder]
In most recipes, only 4 ingredients are used - beef mince, cream of something soup, shredded cheese and tator tots. but there's no way I could brown beef mince without adding garlic, onions, pepper, chopped carrot and peas and worcestershire sauce..

So, that's layered on the bottom with the soup, cheese and potatoes on top and baked in the oven for it to heat through, the cheese to melt and the potatoes to crisp.
Not the most balanced meal around, so it has to be served with a salad.

Jim Lahey's book really got me intrigued and I've been making a few rounds of his no knead bread. These I shaped into long sticks and baked on a tray. They're still not as soft as store bought though...perhaps bread improver really is necessary after all?

1 comment:

Su Ann said...

Hey Sel

Don't get bread improver! It's full of chemicals!
I haven't tried Jim Lahey's recipe yet, but these tricks work for the recipes I've tried so far (those that need kneading):
Use more water/milk
Add a tablespoon of melted butter in the dough- bread keeps better too.
I hate hard crust. Heard that if you butter the crust as soon as it comes out of the oven, the crust won't be too crusty.

Do try these tricks first before resorting to bread improver. :)