what do u do with some bananas that are too ripe to eat? they're soft and mushy and have black spots all over. being chinese, i hate to waste food so...well, you bake something. most baked goods use overripe bananas that add flavour, fragrance and moisture to the finished product. This cake is really fragrant and moist perhaps because of the type of bananas I used? some types are not so good for baking but i dont know the local names. some have interesting names [pisang rastali, pisang emas] others have weird names [pisang awak]. the caramelized topping is a nice surprise. So, if you like bananas...do try this very easy recipe.
1. Cream 250g butter, 3/4 cup brown sugar, 1/2 tsp vanilla essence till light and fluffy.
2. Beat in 4 eggs one at a time, then add 4 medium mashed overripe bananas.
3. Fold in 2 cups sifted SR flour + 1 tbsp milk
4. pour into greased + lined cake tin and bake at 180C for 30 minutes.
5. now, make the Topping: beat 45g butter, 1 tbsp honey, 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon, 1 tsp rum/brandy [optional] and 45 g brown sugar.
6. when cake is done, remove from oven and spread the topping all over the surface. return to oven and bake another 10 minutes until topping is set.