Wednesday, September 30, 2009

kiri aluwa - sri lankan milk toffee

I've never been successful at candy making but I succeeded this time! i'm quite pleased with myself, this being my first try at this recipe. I got my first taste of this a few weeks back from a sri lankan grocery shop in Cheltenham and was hooked. I knew I had to try it myself. it's basically a fudge flavoured with cardamom and vanilla.I used this recipe. instead of a buttering the dish, I just sprayed it with canola oil. Make sure it turns a caramelly brown colour and is really thick before taking it off the heat or else it'll just taste like hardened sugar. I didn't have a candy thermometer so knowing when to take it off was tricky for me but as long as you see that it's thick and takes awhile to come back to the edge of the pan when you stir it, it should be okay. fingers crossed!

after cooling awhile in the pan, I saw that it had hardened so I turned the whole thing out onto a chopping board and cut it with a cleaver [being chinese].

1 comment:

Ana said...

was this soft to eat or hard like candy ?