Tuesday, June 22, 2010

curry puffs the easy way

These aren't the traditional deep fried ones as I can't bear to deep fry anything [can't bear the thought of using so much oil! and then letting it go to waste!] So, these are made with puff pastry. They don't taste the same as those deep fried ones but just as rich and yummy.First off, I made the filling by dicing potatoes [who'd have thought, this was the hardest part! took me ages to cut potatoes into tiny cubes!] and frying them with onions, chilli powder, curry powder, curry leaves and minced chicken. Malays like putting a bit of sugar into the filling as well, but I left it out.

Then came the ready made puff pastry! [I believe in shortcuts..sometimes..] I just cut them into squares, put some filling on top, then pressed the sides together to make a triangle.
Like these! Then, into the oven at 220C for 15-19 minutes, watching to make sure they don't burn!
and they're done. They're best fresh from the oven, or reheated in a toaster because nobody likes a non-crispy bite of puff pastry.
They're usually eaten for a snack at teatime, but I suppose they could make a lunch with some salad on the side. Or made really tiny for an appetizer.

The recipe can be found here.

No comments: