Sunday, September 19, 2010

char siu [chinese barbecued pork]

we were so lucky to have had this at Art's place. This chinese barbecued pork is marinated with a sweetish dark sauce, then grilled/barbecued till the top caramelizes, giving a great almost burnt flavour.
here it is, being sliced! the slices are usually eaten with rice, drizzled with more sauce mixed with honey. In Malaysian hawker stalls, it's often dry and coloured a sickly red colour, and not very juicy at all, but this one was so tender, juicy and flavourful, and without red colouring! So, I have to say, Art's char siu is better than anything i've ever had in Malaysia!

When I asked for a recipe, all he said was to marinade the pork with bottled char siu sauce, then grill it. But, I suppose if you wanted to make it from scratch, here's a recipe from a Malaysian site. Please omit the red colouring. Your body does not need any colourings.

The slices can also be put on top of noodle soup, as a garnish and as the meal's "meat" component, since all meals must have carbs, veg and meat. [In the malaysian world] Or, you could put them in a sandwich. Or eat them with mantou [chinese buns] and spring onions.

3 comments:

Gina E. said...

Hey Cell, I found a packet of marinade sauce in Safeway last week, called Cantonese Red Pork or something, so I snapped it up. You marinate the pork in it, and cook it for 20 minutes in the oven, then turn it over and cook for another 20 mins. For the last 15 mins you add honey to the sauce. It sounded just like yours!

cell said...

Yes it probably is! I wonder if you could use it with other meats, like chicken or goat....

Gina E. said...

Hmmm, I don't see why not. I've never tried eating Goat, so I can't comment on the flavour, but I find that anything used with chicken tends to go with pork as well.